Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A Stocking Tale

Last night as we were sitting around the dinner table, L was admiring the stockings on our fireplace. Now, she doesn't yet know how to read, but she did recognize a pattern on all the stockings. All of them had one name on it except hers which has her full first and middle names. She asked me what hers said, so I told her and those big blue eyes started to tear up and her lower lip started to quiver. L was very upset that hers was different so I tried to come up with an explanation. My mother had made all of our stockings except DH's and truthfully, I have no idea why her full name is on hers but I started in on a story about how L's middle name is the same as my grandma's and that her Nanny probably just loved that name so much she put it on her stocking etc etc... It wasn't working as L then exclaimed,

"But that's the name Mommy uses when I'm in trouble!"

D'oh!

7 comments:

Judy said...

I can relate to L's trauma. I can still hear the strong sounds of "Judith" and I knew I was in trouble.

sophanne said...

It's hard to wrap around how their brains work.

I had a Rachel in school who was convinced her middle name was "Bug" cause mom and dad called her Rachel Bug.

I had another who thought his middle name was "Hew" as in Matthew.

Purple Princess said...

SO very cute. How do you keep a straight face! What kids come up with is amazing. So, one question, does she get in big trouble a lot???? Hope to see you soon.

YarnThing said...

am I evil if I can't stop laughing at that?

Too funny! Sending little L big hugs :-)

Marly

Anonymous said...

OHHHHhhhhh..... How sad. In a funny, adult perception of kid interpretation way....

Hopefully she can deal with the trauma on Christmas morning after Santa has filled the stocking with goodies.

5elementknitr said...

Those warmies are so cute! And your daughter is a pip!

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Poor L :) I'm sure she'll be happier when she sees how full her stocking is on Christmas!

Yea for finishitis! No one will ever notice that the legs were uneven :D