Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Whole Car-In-Backyard Enchilada

SO sorry about the tiny blog entries! Anyway, here's the whole story. From the beginning.

At about 12:30 Monday evening, we were awakened by a loud thud. In my sleepy stupor, my first thought was, "J must have fallen out of bed." Which, in fact, he had. But then it occurred to me that the noise was much louder than J falling out of bed, especially since his mattress had been relocated to the floor after the last time he fell out. I went out to the living room, where I met my brother who apparently had also heard the loud J-not-falling-out-of-bed noise. He looked in the backyard and yelled at me to call 911 for there was a car in our yard. (See picture on previous entry)

Here's the yet to be proven in court theory: Kids go for a joy ride in a dealer owned BMW. It has always been a stupid teenage thing to do here to try and go as fast as you can on the hill I live on to see if you can jump the hill. Mostly it's been harmless because when I was in high school none of us could afford a car that could go faster than 50 and perhaps we were just smarter. I'm not sure. (The drivers did leave their cell phone at the scene so I'm pretty sure they weren't professional criminals.) Anyhow, apparently if you are in a German performance car, you CAN catch air. And crash into an unsuspecting neighbors yard. And apparently walk away from it. Or run away as was the case here. That's right, somehow they got away, which is pretty amazing given the shape of the car. I've heard there is a suspect in custody, but that was at 3 am on Tuesday morning and I was a little bleary eyed.

So I am grateful that nobody was hurt, not just our family, but the kids who did it as well. It so easily could have been much worse. Amusingly enough (yes, I'm at the point now where I can find humor in this), the things that probably saved our lives from the hurtling BMW were aspects of our landscape that I hated. The city owns some Russian Olives that I just can't stand that were probably responsible for tearing apart the front of the car, slowing it down in the process. Turns out Russian Olives are a pretty hard wood. Next was a giant overgrown fitzer that had taken over our backyard and we were afraid to tackle lest it eat our firstborn. It's no longer overgrown. In fact, it's pretty flat. I'm actually considering how much it would cost to have the rest of it removed by the insurance company's clean up crew.

Again, we are very grateful that the only things that were damaged were things that can be replaced. Thank God.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Pretty Much Flat" Hee hee. Great mental image, thanks.

I would suspect that the insurance would pay to put your yard however you want it. However, since it was a crime (stolen car and all), would the car dealer's insurance cover it? Very strange and confusing.

And... at last. A USE for Russian Olives.

Knitted Gems said...

What a crazy story. So glad to hear nobody was hurt.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

I'm so glad no one got hurt!

YarnThing said...

Holy sh*t!!! That is just crazy!!! I can't believe I am just now finding out about this...that is some wild stuff!!!

marly